[RFI] Garage door rfi noise on receive

Sam Morgan ka5oai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 19:31:16 PDT 2009

I am in the process of working with my local utility company chasing a noise
that render the entire hf bands useless, unless a signal is over S9 +5-10. The
noise starts as the day goes over 92 degrees and stops when the temps drop in
the evening.  It starts out intermittent and then may get to where it is steady
for long periods of time, reverting to intermittent before it shuts down for the
night. This is not a problem where my transmissions are opening and closing
their garage door. I should be so lucky to have that much power out, hi hi.

We, the utility guy and I, think we have located a problem within a neighbors
house. He says their doorbell, garage door opener, or an attic fan are his best
guesses. Something that is heating up in the top of their 1 story house. The
roof peak is low pitched, only about 3 feet up from their ceilings. I can't
check with the owners yet as there is a line drop to their house that will be
repaired first. So I'm trying to get prepared with what to do when, if I can get
them to co-operate.

If their garage door opener is causing the problem what would I be able to do to
stop it? Tighten up all the wires? Check solder joints in the unit?

If it's the doorbell transformer, same thing, tighten the connections or replace it?

I don't think this is something that throwing a couple of toroid chokes at is
going to fix.

TIA for your help.
--
GB & 73