[RFI] Garage door rfi noise on receive

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Tue Jun 9 21:06:26 PDT 2009

In the years I've lived in this subdivision southeast of Houston, I've
tracked down four faulty doorbell transformers.  I've found the noise
sources to be as much as a mile and a half away from my house. You don't fix
a faulty doorbell transformer; it must be replaced.

When you tell the owners that by replacing the transformer, (1) they will
have removed a really, really big fire hazard (the RFI comes from internal
arcing within the transformer windings); and (2) they will now enjoy TV
viewing and listening without the interference--don't know what the noise
will do to digital TV, but I'm sure there must be an effect.

At one location, no one was home, so I told their neighbors on each side
what was happening.  They all had the interference on their TV's and radios.
When I told them how to fix it they said they'd certainly tell the owners
when they got home.  The RFI went away the next day.

Good luck,

Dale, kg5u