[RFI] Linksys Router Birdies

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Mar 11 17:53:45 PST 2010

Tony wrote:
> All,
>
> What is the best method of getting rid of router birdies?
What frequency?
>  I have a Cisco
> Linksys router with both wireless and wired connections.
Which model?
>  There's a long
> run (50ft)
I have 3 runs 130' long of CAT6 that go within about 10-15' of the tower
base on the way to the shop, and one of CAT5e to another room in the
house that is about 25' and two of about 12' to the computers in here.
Two of the computers are within 4 to 5' of the router.  One 160 and one
75 meter antenna run fairly close.  No problems so far.
>  of unshielded CAT 5 cable going to the shack which I'll be
> replacing with shielded cable. I'm told the wallwart can be a source of
> RFI as well.

They can, but I've not run into any yet.
> Is there a particular brand of Ethernet cable that's shielded better
> than others?

CAT5 and 6 are normally not shielded. You can purchase shielded versions
but then you need the proper connectors and the router needs a grounding
connection, which I doubt you will find in yours particularly being in a
plastic case with the wi-fi antennas.

73 and good luck

Roger (K8RI)