[RFI] Linksys Router Birdies

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Thu Mar 11 18:20:10 PST 2010

On 3/11/2010 Tony wrote:

> All,

> What is the best method of getting rid of router birdies? ...snip...

> Tony -K2MO

I did something SLIGHTLY different than most - I used a Type32 ferrite, but I used a fairly small one - 1/2" inner, about 3/4" long, which will NOT fit the RJ-45 plug through it, so I cut them off, put 3-4 wraps (as many as would fit), and put a new end on (I usually make my own cables, so this was no big deal).

One interesting thing I found - MOST of the RFI was NOT coming from the router end of the cable, but from the PC end!  MUCH greater reduction in signal if I put the ferrite on the PC end.  Of course, I ended up doing BOTH ends.  My birdies went from S9 to about S1, which is my background level on a GOOD  day (on a BAD day, I have S7 background from DC to daylight here)  (my antenna is a DX-EE 20ft or so straight up over my shack)

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com
My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Any given program, when running, needs debugging.
 Any debugged program is obsolete.