[RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 30 07:38:13 PST 2010

A GE  helical 26W bulb type 26 FLE263/.2.SW produces a robust signal around
2.4 MHz -- and the antenna is 180 feet away from the basement where I use
it.  Screwed into a motion-sensor the frequency is lowered to a MARS
channel used here in MI.

2.64 MHz -excited lamps have already been noted to cause interference; they
are coming into commercial use in many places .Although rated FCC Class A,
their emissions do add; illuminating the side of a building, for example,
nor only do they add, the wiring provides an efficient antenna.  And there
are a LOT of Chinese versions coming in via Internet orders; it seems some
are designed as "grow lamps" with a spectrum tailored for plants. Energy
efficient, they also create less of a hot spot detectable from DEA aircraft.

Cortland
KA5S