[RFI] RFI to netgear router

Brian Reid kb3wca at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 23:24:44 PDT 2011

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I'll try to answer the questions asked
of me and suggestions made all in one.. As far as the location of the router
versus the antenna/feedline.... I live in a 2 story brick rowhome. The shack
is in the basement, with feedline running a short distance to the outside,
and then to the roof. There is a choke balun in place from when we installed
the antenna, and it was made using a folgers coffee can. There is ground
wire running from the antenna down to a copper ground rod in the back yard.
This ground rod in turn has a piece of copper wire that runs off of it to
the radio's mounting bracket, wrapped around one of the mounting screws. I
do not own a swr meter, but when the antenna was installed, we used one, and
the highest swr was 1:2 at 144... flat the rest of the band.  I typically do
not require high power except when I am trying to hit repeaters 70-80 miles
away or more when conditions are good. I am thinking of trying the ferrite
chokes on the wires on the router. I normally use the radio after dark when
everyone else in the house is asleep, so the internet getting interrupted is
not really a big deal. Still a pain in the ass nevertheless.

--
Brian Reid
KB3WCA