[RFI] Low pass filter opinions

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jan 13 13:56:58 PST 2011

On 1/13/2011 3:43 AM, dalej wrote:
> I have a Behringer MX882 used in a splitter configuration so that I can feed three rigs with one microphone.  Anyway this morning I used my Fluke 77 and checked the input pin one to chassis and it showed zero ohms all looks good so far.

Unfortunately that tells you nothing. I'd bet a six pack of some really
good Belgian ale that the Behringer has pin 1 problems.  You can't
measure this with an ohmmeter (because the resistance of a circuit board
trace is usually below the threshold of what a meter can measure),
you've got to take it apart and look at it, or you can use one of the
test methods outlined on my website.

BTW -- Behringer has a REALLY bad reputation in the audio world for
lousy quality, lousy support, and lousy business practices.  They are
well known for stealing designs from other mfrs, were convicted in a
German court of doing so, and settled out of court on several other
suits. In one case I know of (a Mackie mixer) they copied the cabinet,
the external design and layout, mistakes on the printed circuit board,
including pin 1 problems, and bought so many of the OEM faders that they
were out of stock at the mfr when Mackie tried to buy them! And it was
an OEM part for Mackie! (For the non-engineers among us, an OEM part is
one that is not in the catalog, but is a unique part built to spec for a
customer to fit into their products.)

73, Jim K9YC