[RFI] Sudden RFI After Rain

jim feldman mtnredhed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:08:06 PDT 2011

I'm surrounded on 3 sides by HV transmission lines within a mile of my house
(I wasn't a ham when we moved).  I definitely notice the first rains.  Just
like your RFI.  I've just assumed it's arc over until the insulators wash
off.  We also get very heavy dew drop, cars, grass completely soaked.  I
also hear it worse on those nights too.  I've had 10 over S9 noise floors on
75, s8-s9 on 40, and it gets better as you go up.  Almost nothing on 10.

I'll listen for wwv on 5 and 10 and decide if it's even worth keeping the
rig powered up.

jim
w6jmf