[RFI] Lightsquared potential jamming of GPS

M Roden w5jr.mike at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:53:02 PST 2011

I've always used the analogy it is like trying to see a candle
flickering at a mile away with one eye while the other has a
flashlight pointed at it from a few inches away. You have to add a
very good light shield divider between the eyes before the brain can
ignore the obliterated eye and see the distant light. The slightest
amount of light into the "dark eye" overloads it and prevents the weak
light ability.

All the brick wall filtering on the transmitter(s) will have little
effect on the hundreds of millions of "consumer grade" devices with
fairly broad receiver frontend filters. This includes virtually every
cell phone in use today that relies upon GPS to provide E911 centers
with the location of a wireless caller. Miniaturization must still
comply with the laws of physics.

tnx
Mike