[RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?

dalej dj2001x at comcast.net
Tue May 17 01:44:06 PDT 2011

Myles,  no problem.

But just to clarify,

A house was struck less than a mile from my QTH.  Actually it wasn't the house, but a gas meter.  The occupants could not return until the house was completely rebuilt months later.  Nice house too.

On my mothers property a lightning bolt struck a pine tree about 40 feet from her house, the tree was quite tall but by the time lightning was finished it was about 12 feet tall and parts of that large tree was scattered for a block around the house.  The bolt moved on the ground, made it inside the house to an electrical outlet on the patio then took out a freezer and some other electrical appliances.  The track was clearly visible as it burned a carpet leading right to that outlet.  It was amazing.  I have a video tape of it.

Let me set the record straight.  I know about TV transmission towers, radio towers, the Empire state building etc.  The question was, was there anything to replace the ICE devices...From there we went on, and on...

I think we're all pretty clear about lightning and it's effects.  W8JI, which the link to his web page seems to have all the right answers so if I were inclined, that is how I'd pattern my lightning protection, but I choose to tempt mother nature and just disconnect every thing when I hear the distant rumble.  If I happen to be away and forget to disconnect, well then I hope my insurance will cover, otherwise I am S.O.L.  :(  And that's about all I have to say on this subject.  73 Dale