[RFI] RFI to and from adjacent cell site

K8RI k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Sep 2 21:14:20 PDT 2011

On 9/2/2011 9:42 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 9/2/2011 4:42 PM, Patrick wrote:
>> Does anyone have any personal experience with living adjacent to a cell
>> sight with HF gear?
> N6RO had one on his property, and it generated massive birdies on the HF
> bands. He got rid of it.  As far as I know, they had no problems with
> his big station (six towers, multi-op).

I live within about a mile or a little less from at least 4 cell towers.
I've never heard a peep from them even driving by and one is very close
to the road.  If it fell over about a 1/4 to 1/3 of it would extend
beyond the road.  i haven't counted antennas, but there are quite a few
up there on the different towers. One farm has two that are very close
to each other and maybe a mile from me.  They resulted in the township
enacting an ordinance that has pretty much ended more cell towers coming in.

I've been trying to purchase a couple acres behind me, but there is 64
acres that would be land-locked except for the vacant and heavily wooded
lot to the North of me so there is no way I'm ever going to be able to
get that one without purchasing the whole 64 acres.   A lot of the 64
acres is or would be defined as weld lands  (IE swampy) so only a
portion of it could be developed.  He told me the taxes are eating it
up, but he wants to develop it. Also due to subdividing he can not sell
any more lots...although I've been trying to get about two acres that
would be added to my property description.

> That's only one case I know of.  Something to consider is that no one
> pays any attention to trash on the HF bands when they're testing for
> emissions compliance, or if they do, they don't test with the wires
> attached that radiate the trash.
>
> One test that you could certainly do is put an HF rig in a mobile (or
> borrow a friend's mobile for a day) and see what you hear over there.

And what's quiet today might not be tomorrow, or next week, or...

73

Roger (K8RI)