[RFI] RFI issues in electric (or hybrid) vehicles

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Tue Apr 10 21:25:50 PDT 2012

Let's do the math for all to see.

Assuming a 9dB increase in signal for every halving in distance and
using your number of 1800'.  Then there would be a 9dB increase in
interference @ 900', 18dB @ 450', 27dB @ 225', 36dB @ 112', 45dB @ 56',
54dB @28' etc.  In the near field the noise increases even faster.  This
does NOT pass the reasonableness test in my opinion.  Perhaps you were
hearing something else or that maybe there was something wrong with the
vehicle but this is no where close to what I have seen.

I have made over 70,000 mobile contacts and have driven by many hybrid
cars on deserted roads in the western US activating counties and have
heard noise occasionally from hybrid cars but never at the level you
indicate.  By far the worst noise offenders on the roads are the noisy
AC inverters that a lot of truckers use but I have never heard one of
those at distances like 1800'.  So I guess we have a difference of opinion!

Larry, W0QE

FYI:
The near field is generally considered to be ~0.62*sqrt((d^3)/lambda)
where "d" is the largest dimension of the antenna or about 15' for a
car, "d^3" is "d" cubed, and lambda is the wavelength of the frequency
in the same units as "d".