[RFI] Interference

Util.RFI.pro utility.rfi.pro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:43:55 PST 2012

I work for an electric utility as interference investigator. If I find a source that is not owned by the utility, I can't (officially) do any more to resolve the interference. Our responsibility ends at the output side of the meter. I am prohibited from disclosing the location of the non-utility source. I believe you will find that these policies are fairly universal.

The prohibition against non-utility source location disclosure is meant to prevent litigation. If the utility accuses someone of being the source of interference, it often leads to a dispute between the neighbors and possibly lawsuits that usually include the utility. The utility wants no part of any of this.

The prohibition against providing any measure of assistance in resolving a non-utility caused interference problem is to prevent litigation as well. Because the utility is viewed as a huge set of deep pockets, all sorts of strange things get reported by the party with whom we work. Accusations true and false arise claiming damage to personal property, theft, assault, you name it. Such BS is equally unwanted. A few ruined it for everyone (as is always the case.)

While I find the suggestion that the investigator in this case was "flim-flamming" to be repugnant, the truth is that many, if not most, utilities simply don't have the skill and talent in house to do a proper job of locating and verifying the true location of sources. When an untrained, unskilled, poorly equipped "investigator" is instructed to resolve an interference case it isn't surprising that they will do anything to get out of an uncomfortable situation. Of course, it helps to have proof when making such a charge. Evidence has not been presented here that the investigator was incompetent or untruthful.

I've found doorbell transformers and a variety of electronic doorbell systems that have caused a wide variety of interference issues, both intermittent and continuous. No frequencies were mentioned in the initial report here but I have found that doorbell rfi is possible from 1 to 350 MHz.

If the investigator in this case says he can't disclose the location of the source he found, he's following company policy. You are on your own. Hire a pro, enlist the aid of a skilled ham radio DFer, or DF the source yourself.

As I have said here at least a billion times, speculation is wasted effort. Find the source and you will know the cause. If you don't know how to DF RFI, either find someone who does or learn to do it yourself.

If the source really is in a neighbor's home, heed the suggestions imploring tact and deftness. You will usually get what you give.

Good luck and good hunting!

Frank N Haas KB4T
Utility Interference Investigator
Florida