[RFI] electric fence

Eric - VE3GSI ve3gsi at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 3 07:32:08 PDT 2012

Hi Steve,

Possibly a shorted or open wire on the electric fence, also those little
neon lights are susceptible to failure, even the fencers fail from time to
time.  I help one of my neighbours with his electric fences, all his fencers
are electronic, I have not found a mechanical fencer in use around here.
Since most farmers only twist wires for a connection check for a break or
poor contact. I find the shorts can be caused when the brush and weeds
started growing around the wire. The fencer itself may have an indicator on
it to show it is on and working.

As for the neon tester, the ones my neighbour uses have a series of high
resistance resistors and neon bulbs connected in a decade configuration. As
the voltage falls off down the line, less neons light up. Myself, I just
touch the tip of my finger to the wire, if it bites I know it works.

The nifty thing I have learned about electric fences, is that once the
cattle and horses learn about the charged fences the animals avoid them and
the farmers turn the fencer off. In fact, two of the fences down the road
from me have never had a fencer connected to them in the three years we
lived here, yet both cattle and horses steer clear of wire.

Eric - VE3GSI.