[RFI] Sling Link RFI

Scott Yost nm8rmedic at rocketmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:44:13 PDT 2012

Could use some advice on a whole-house AC filter to reduce
RFI in the SW spectrum.

I’ve tracked down two RFI sources this summer.  One was an arcing junction box connection in
my neighbor’s home (we fixed it) and the other turned out to be a wireless ethernet
device he had plugged in but was no longer using, called Sling Link.  It blankets the SW spectrum with a constant
snapping, arc-like noise.  We unplugged
it and I brought it home for a post-mortem and to take some photos.  I turned on the SW rig to celebrate, but
quickly found out I have another neighbor with one of these darn boxes.

Here is the description from the manufacturer:
“A SlingLink™ is a
convenient way to connect your Slingbox to the Internet. If you're like most
people, you don't have an ethernet jack right next to your television. Rather
than running long wires all around your house, or having an expensive
technician re-wire your home, you can just purchase a pair of SlingLink
adapters.
Like an extension cord
for the Internet, the SlingLink uses your home's existing electrical wiring to
transmit the ethernet signal from your router. Plug one SlingLink into the wall
near your router, and plug in the other SlingLink wherever you have your
Slingbox installed. Voila - your Slingbox is connected to the Internet!”  - end -
The AC wiring makes a great radiator, and with 7 neighbors
sharing the distribution transformer, it has a lot of wiring to use.

Any recommendations on AC line filtering I can place on my
home’s wiring to at least eliminate it in my own home?

Thanks,

ScottNM8R