[RFI] Computer birdies

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Jun 26 14:25:44 PDT 2012

On 6/26/2012 4:56 PM, Phil wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
>
>> On 6/26/2012 11:49 AM, charlie at thegallos.com wrote:
>>> I personally found, with my router and computers that the computer was the really bad end, but putting cores on both ends helped too, as there was some low level stuff coming from the router
>> Yes. Each end of a cable connected to ANY digital electronics should be
>> viewed as a potential noise source, but as several have noted, some
>> products are much noisier than others.
>>

> As a quick check/test I found some likely Ethernet RFI crud close to 50.120 and 3.770.
>
> Shut computer down - 50.120 E'net crud stops as computer shuts off.
>
> Disconnected E'net cable from computer & router then powered computer back up and switched it over to it's wireless interface.
>
> 50.120 & 3770 crud still gone.
>
> With the availability of reasonably  priced wireless routers along with plugin wireless adapters for computer ethernet and USB ports not sure why it makes sense to still fuss with using wired Ethernet networks in home/shack and then need to install toroids, shielded cables, etc. to rid the radio of Ethernet RFI crud.   Maybe one short e'net cable needed between the router and upstream cable/DSL/etc. modem and thats it.

One problem...the wireless is too slow by far and requires more
attention to security.  Apparently more than half of personal Wi-fi
networks/connections are unsecure.

Even with a gigabit CAT6 network and 5 computers it takes hours to back
them up

Wireless networks are getting faster, but have a ways to go.

73

Roger (K8RI)