[RFI] 160m ARDF / fox hunt antenna

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Fri Nov 30 15:35:42 EST 2012

Well, after a lovely bit of walking... about 6 miles of it... I've
narrowed the source of my new RFI down to a small area. It is all
residential. The nulls are on the loop are not consistent or
predictable within that small area. Attempting to create a plausible
explanation for this, my feeble mind invents: noise conducted into
power, cable, or phone lines and radiating from multiple points
within a small area, or from all wires belonging to a given system
within that area. The source location is about half a mile from my
160 vertical. It is a bit less distant (~1900 feet) from the end of
my west-pointing Beverage, which is the one hearing it the strongest.

I see nothing unusual or suspect on utility poles. There are several
of what, to the untrained eye, appear as though they may be
unterminated taps on the cable system. However, most have
undoubtedly been that way for years. I therefore assume the source
is some consumer electronic device. I have a prime suspect home, but
am not all that confident. It could easily be be one of half a dozen
others. I will try to think of ways to refine the search. But for
now... I will rest!

73,
Paul N1BUG