[RFI] Line noise update

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 9 17:43:47 EDT 2012

On 10/9/2012 2:34 PM, N1BUG wrote:

> I have no experience with the earlier unit so I am not able to make
> comparisons.

The Kenwood TH-F6A is quite user-friendly and works as a general
coverage RX from below the AM BC band to about 1 GHz, but the RX is
pretty much a block of wood at HF and below.  It's good when you're
close to the source, but you won't hear weak signals.

Another suggestion, Paul.  If you suspect electronic noise sources,
something with a panadapter is VERY useful for identifying noise as
being electronic in origin (or not).  The clue is a spectrum that looks
like humps of noise that drift around a bit, repeating at intervals
depending on the switching rates, and with drifty carriers in the middle
of most humps.

73, Jim K9YC