[RFI] Line noise update

dalej dj2001x at comcast.net
Tue Oct 9 18:25:09 EDT 2012

Thanks Paul,

The Alinco I was referring to is a 144/440/1.2 walke-talke, so it has more to do functions of course.  What I'm looking for is a very portable rx that I can punch in freq to the keypad and select a mode without having the manual along.  Exactly the same purpose you use yours for, sniffing noise.

My first trip will be to my neighbors house, IF I can get them to consent to a noise search.  I'm almost 100 percent sure it's either the dimmer switch or their kitchen lighting that is causing a blanket 15 db above normal noise floor noise. I have another ham in the area that might help me.  It might take a while.  I'm willing to buy them a new dimmer if it can be determined it is the culprit.  It could also be a switching PS that powers the fancy kitchen lighting. I think it is buried in the ceiling though and would be tough to troubleshoot.  It could also be a bad wiring job, that would even be more difficult.  They had their kitchen remodeled a few years ago and that's when the noise started.

I've been here a few weeks short of 39 years and it's been a quiet location up until the remodeling.  Trying to work any DX on 40 or 75 after the kitchen lights are on at 5:30 to 7:30 weekdays and all weekend long, is almost impossible.

The DJ-X11 looks promising and it's less expensive than the Icom, I'll have a look at the manual and see if I can handle it while on the go.

Can anyone recommend a RFI proof dimmer switch that I can buy to exchange with my neighbor?

Tnx, 73
Dale, k9vuj