[RFI] CFL Noise Update - Neighbor Removes Burned Out CFL

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Oct 10 02:15:01 EDT 2012

On 10/10/2012 12:08 AM, Tony wrote:
> On 10/9/2012 10:23 AM, qrv at kd4e.com wrote:
>> Tony, Do you have a common electrical system? Could his circuit have a
>> bad ground or neutral and
>> it is using a path through yours? David
>
> Hi David:
>
> Common in that the power comes into our homes off the same power lines.

That's true in most subdivisions. The question is, are you fed off the
same transformer?

> I'd be interested to know if the noise could travel from one home to the
> next via the power lines because of a faulty ground.

If it's the same transformer the ground can be just fine.  You will find
that many times the devices that use the power line in the home for
internet and TV can talk to all the homes fed from the same transformer
and that can be a real PITA.

Like in the old days with VCRs that ran the output on Ch 3 or Ch 2. Some
of them could be heard a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away.
Then there were those who just wired everything together instead of
using an A/B switch and your VCR was tied to a high gain antenna that
put out a pretty good signal.

Which BTW there are still a lot of attic and antenna mounted preamps no
longer used but still wired to the TV with cable. Remember that channel
18's audio sub carrier(think it's the sub carrier) is on 145.25.  Even
without power on them they can still receive and mix a strong 2-meter
signal and retransmit it. Our only saving grace is that if we hear them
they definitely will hear us.

I was able to dump the cable system for an entire town by transmitting
on 145.25 mobile. OTOH I did this while demonstrating the problem to the
service guy for the cable company. He insisted that they couldn't hear
us until I keyed up out in the parking lot. Their cable system was a
whole lot cleaner after work the next day and by the day after that I
could no longer find any places where I could hear 145.25.

73

Roger (K8RI)