[RFI] Fluorescent Light RFI

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Oct 25 01:00:57 EDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 12:05 AM, Tony wrote:
> All:
>
> The XYL says I've been procrastinating long enough about installing a
> 48" fluorescent light in the garage. First thing that came to mind is
> RFI. Are there any brands that are known to cause interference? Local
> stores carry Metalux, Utilitech and Portfolio.

I use both 4' and 8' with absolutely no RFI.  In the shop I have 11
fixtures, or 22, 75W, 8' long tubes.  These are commercial fixtures with
external starters. As are the 4 footers.

In the Garage I have 4, 150 to 200W equivalent CFLs.  The only thing I
don't like about the CFLs is they will take several minutes to come up
to full brilliance until the end of April, or first part of May.
Of course as soon as we get close to freezing at night they have that
problem.  This time of year we might get a week of them coming on like
summer followed by a few nights that take minutes to warm up. IE very
unpredictable.
In the cold the big CFLs now only seem to last a couple of years, if
that. While in the house I've lost track as they appear to be quite long
lived.  Part of that may be related to the vibration of the garage doors.

OTOH I've not heard any RFI out of even the CFLs...So far!

I much prefer the 8' tubes to the 4', and any more I purchase the full
spectrum and by the case.
I've found their life is very predictable and it is only about half of
the advertized 5000 hours. I've also gone to changing them all out  at
once even if they are still good because after this many years, I know
that after the first one goes the others will be gone within 2 or 3
months.  It's a lot less work to change them all at once. With a helper
we can do them all within an hour.  One at a time I have to get the tall
stepladder out, move it though and around a lot of *stuff* with it
taking at least 15 minutes per fixture, for a total between 3 and 4 hours.

73

Roger (K8RI)