[RFI] When AC filtering actually makes it worse

Jeff Blaine jeff at ac0c.com
Mon Apr 22 19:10:07 EDT 2013

Aaron,

My guess is that you have power adapters around your house which are taking
a free ride on the house wiring.

Have you tried to hunt down the noise makers?  One quick (?) way is to get a
portable AM radio, tune to an unused part of the band, and take a walk
around your house holding that radio next to anything that connects to an
outlet.  I would start with the adapters plugged into that power strip.

I have been kicking around using my QS1R for that purpose as well by
powering the QS1R from the laptop's 5v (or other battery) supply.  A guy
with this arrangement could roam from room to room with a small loop tied to
the QS1R.  Looking at the wide band monitor in sdrmax, it would be cool to
see the spectrum rise up as you closed in on a bad actor...

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie