[RFI] TVI Question

Thatcher Deane thatcher.deane at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 01:36:18 EDT 2013

My brother in law reported some audio RFI to his TV, even when turned off.

"We have had a strange phenomenon happening with our TV set the past
week and I wonder if you can shed some light on it.  Three times, maybe
four, the past week, a loud voice came through for just a few seconds,
clearly overriding the audio on the particular program.  .... We just
get four or five words and it is difficult to tell what is being said.
It comes through very loud, three or four times louder than the audio
setting on the TV.  This morning, something very unusual happened.  The
TV was not even on and the voice came through, extremely loud. [My wife]
came running out from the bedroom to find out what was happening, so it
was not my imagination."
-------
I've suggested that this might be CB and that modern Ham equipment
usually does not have such problems, but that if a ham is involved that
he'd probably be able to help fix it, even thought the fault is usually
with the TV.

I'm going to dig out my ARRL RFI book, but does this suggest any
particular cause or investigation method to anyone?

AH6SZ