[RFI] TVI Question

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Apr 25 04:17:39 EDT 2013

On 4/24/2013 10:44 AM, EDWARDS, EDDIE J wrote:
> Wouldn't an illegal amplifier used out of the designed bands emit more RF trash than if it were being properly used within the bands it's designed to operate?  Of course, couple this with a susceptible device, and you get "Fireworks"!

Not necessarily. The purity of the signal depends on many things, but a
ham amplifier should be able to work on most frequencies within their
range with maybe a couple exceptions if operated properly.

A 10 meter amp will usually operate on 11 quite happily with just the Q
being a bit off.

,
> Getting back to the original post, it seemed to indicate the audio rectification was very brief in duration. Is that right?  Almost like it was a mobile driving by the location of the TV/AV system.  That might make finding the source more difficult than normal.  Ferrites on all TV/audio lines (including all internal speakers) might fix it all up.

It can even be the result of a couple signals mixing so both need be
present.

However the equipment being off and still having the output is usually
indicative of either a lot of power, output circuit pickup and
rectification or both.

More often than not I'd expect poor circuit design and or poor shielding
of the receiving equipment.

In every case where I've run into output when the receiver is turned
off, it was speaker lead pickup and rectification.

73

Roger (K8RI)