[RFI] Shielding a ground wire

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Apr 27 18:59:23 EDT 2013

On 4/27/2013 1:32 PM, Christopher Brown wrote:
> But it is not a magic RF sink, and as far as the station goes.....station is second floor...strap or not, it is not a "RF ground" or some such for anything above 80M.

Right. In general, a connection EARTH is NOT part of a solution to RFI
problems, nor does it make antennas work better (although it CAN provide
a current sink for a receiving antenna, the earth is FAR too lossy to be
an efficient part of a TX antenna).

We MUST provide an effective earth connection for any premises, but the
reason for it is LIGHTNING SAFETY, not noise elimination.

The only example I can think of where an earth connection CAN help
reduce noise is in combination with one or more common mode chokes to
shunt common mode current to the earth rather than a cable that can
either radiate it or couple it to an antenna feedpoint.

73, Jim K9YC