[RFI] Shielding a ground wire

Timo Toro Toro at ibb.fi
Sun Apr 28 06:00:48 EDT 2013

The message from QRO contest stations to quiet reception and smooth
operation is GROUNDING. I mean single point grounding. And cables
between various devices are provided with ferrite chokes. (mix31?) I
had similar RFI problems too.

If ground lead is quarter wave on 40m, as it was in my station,
problems are welcome. I installed lots of copper outside the shack
and good single point grounding inside. Lightning protection and RFI
both are eased this way. Tuning the ground lead to series resonance
on most problematic band, can help too. As was done in the example?,
I sent earlier.

Taking GOOD care of lightning protection is not easy task, but that
is the starting point.

To solve my PC PCI problem I used lots of ferrite between PowerMaster
power meter display unit  and power sensing unit. Hard to believe,
but there was pin one problem. Collected RF was then send to PC
mother board via serial cable between PowerMaster and PC.

Grounding, grounding, single point grounding and lots of ferrite
chokes everywhere! The more CPUs you have in your station the better
grounding is needed.

73, Timo_oh5kw