[RFI] RFI in the news

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Dec 7 20:51:02 EST 2013

On 12/7/2013 8:13 AM, Alan NV8A wrote:
> Especially when people have messed with (extended, rerouted, spliced)
> the coax in their homes and left everything leaking like a sieve,

There are many cases of TV antennas hard wired to the TV set along with
the cable, making the TV antenna a strong radiator of these signals,

In many cases there is a preamp, no longer powered in the circuit that
will rectify ham signals that the antenna re radiates as well as feeding
them into the cable system.

Several decades ago I lived in a town where most of the system suffered
from both ingress and egress.  Fortunately I was able to demonstrate at
the office, which was also the location for the head end amplifier.
With a 5W HT, I could shut the cable system for the entire town, down.

As we were about 20 miles from the repeater, most mobiles ran 25 to 50
watts. I demonstrated that could shut the system down from over a block
away.

The next evening, after work, most of the town was cleaned up, the next
evening I could find no leakage.

73

Roger (K8RI)
.