[RFI] Arc fault protection

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jan 5 13:15:19 EST 2013

On 1/5/2013 9:40 AM, rick darwicki wrote:
> Typical government/committe expansion of what was originally a good idea (maybe).

Two important clarifications here. First, virtually all building codes
in North America are based on NEC, which is written by a group of EEs
from industry. It's a very good code. NEC is adopted by local
governments as their Electrical building code, which gives it the force
of law.  I don't know about you, but I consider building safety codes a
VERY VERY good thing, and a very necessary function of government.  They
make our buildings safer, so that they can withstand earthquakes, are
less likely to burn, so that cables in them don't create noxious fumes
when they burn, so that burning cables in vertical runs in high rises
don't spread fires between floors in a large building (both of the last
two things happened in the REAL "towering inferno, and causes those
provisions to be added to NEC.

I can't comment on the virtues of Arc Fault Protection, since I don't
know anything about it, nor the hardware failures that it is protecting
against.  But I can tell you that GFCIs are a VERY good thing -- they
protect people from electrocution in rooms where use of a faulty
appliance could kill them -- that is, if a person touches the appliance
and grounded plumbing.

73,

Jim K9YC