[RFI] router RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 4 12:57:29 EST 2013

On 3/3/2013 9:51 PM, N1BUG wrote:
> This particular carrier needs to go away, if possible. It is at the
> home of our county EC and ARES coordinator. Our ARES repeater happens
> to be on 147.210.

Hi Paul,

Several thoughts.

First,  Dale noted a similar carrier at 147.39, and we know that
Ethernet birdie frequencies are driven by the fact that each Ethernet
switch is free-running with its own crystal controlled oscillator. SO --
changing out the physical switch (which may be part of a wireless
router) could move the birdie off of 147.21 MHz.

Second, a case could clearly be made that this device, wherever it is
located, is interfering with licensed radio communications, and Part 15
could be invoked to persuade its owner that it must be fixed.

Third, if the device can be located, my guess is that it MIGHT be
sufficiently suppressed by a 4 - 6 or so 1-inch long #43 cores on each
cable connected to it, and to the other end of Ethernet cables connected
to it. That won't help, of course, with stuff radiated by the box itself.

When thinking about problems like this, it helps to think about HOW MUCH
suppression is needed. Those cores aren't going to get you 40 dB, but
they might get you 10-20 dB, and that might be enough.

I'm assuming you've already determined that the bad box is not his own
(by killing power to it).

You might be able to fox hunt the source with a 2M talkie. When
participating in our annual radio club fox hunts (the North Shore Radio
Club in suburban Chicago), I learned that I could make my talkie's
rubber duck directional by holding it close to my body to block it from
one direction. And when I got close enough, I added an attenuator by
removing the duck.

73, Jim K9YC