[RFI] router RFI

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Mon Mar 4 00:51:15 EST 2013

On 03/04/2013 12:34 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> Dale and Cortland -- something you could do for us is provide a good
> description of the spectra that typically results from Ethernet traffic
> so that we can identify it. Those slightly modulated carriers (plus a
> lot more than those listed here), and broadband hash on 2M, is all that
> I've identified myself.

I would like to see that too. I have a good number of the carriers
on HF, some from my own network, some from neighbors. I had some
very strong ones on 6 meters from my own network, partially owing to
the fact I have 200 feet of CAT6 (shielded, but as we know the
shield does no good since the devices are not shielded) feeding an
access point at 90 feet on one of my towers. The 6 meter beam is at
103 feet on another tower 140 feet away. I was able to get the 6M
carriers down some 20 dB with a rather odd combination of ferrite cores.

The particular situation I asked about that started the recent
thread is an ethernet related carrier on or about 147.210 MHz. It is
not at my station. I will be taking some approximate measurements on
it Tuesday. This particular carrier needs to go away, if possible.
It is at the home of our county EC and ARES coordinator. Our ARES
repeater happens to be on 147.210. He has very little room to move
his 2 meter antenna out of the way. I'm hoping it isn't too strong
to control with ferrites. If it is, we may be out of luck.

--
Paul Kelley, N1BUG
RFI Committee chair,