[RFI] router RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 4 00:34:00 EST 2013

On 3/3/2013 8:01 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> computers on  cat6 megabit, as well as one net book, one lap top, and
> one printer on wireless. NADA, but I do hear two signals that appear
> to be routers spread across about 14 MHz clear up into the VHF range.

Hi Roger,

There are several common spurs that show up in CW bands, which is where
I mostly operate. They are good "beacons" for Ethernet trash. They are
around 14029.5, 21052.5, and the very low end of 10M (like 28014, etc.)
Each switch is free-running on it's own clock, so if you have neighbors
you'll hear these spurs for each of them on a slightly different
frequency.  I heard at least 3-4 in Chicago, but out here in the woods,
with antennas pretty far from the house, I barely hear my own router
(which, of course, is choked).

Dale and Cortland -- something you could do for us is provide a good
description of the spectra that typically results from Ethernet traffic
so that we can identify it. Those slightly modulated carriers (plus a
lot more than those listed here), and broadband hash on 2M, is all that
I've identified myself.

73, Jim K9YC