[RFI] Cree LED Bulbs?

Aaron Kreider aaron at campusactivism.org
Sun Mar 31 16:43:57 EDT 2013

I skimmed most of the thread on the Cree LED bulbs.  I didn't catch the
conclusion -- were they bad RFI producers or not?

I bought a bunch of LED bulbs on Ebay which are terrible RFI
producers.    I could hear them 10 feet away on my QS1R with a 2 foot
wire antenna.  And I could hear it over my computer noise!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7W-LED-E27-Lamp-Bulb-Warm-White-Light-Energy-Saving-Bright-input-AC-85V-260V-HS4-/310642281478?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&hash=item4853b90c06

Another interesting item is that they say 7 watts (85 VAC - 240 VAC),
but are actually 2-3 watts when running them on 120 VAC  and probably
producing a third of the lumens.  So they are dim.  They cost around $5.
Quality control or shipping is terrible as many of the bulbs tend to
rattle due to loose components.

By contrast the Utilitech LED bulb 7W ($10) that I bought at Lowes for
$10 shows next to zero RFI within inches of my 2 foot wire antenna.  It
uses 7 watts on 120 VAC and produces a lot more light than the Ebay
bulbs.  I recommend this bulb.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338802-75774-LA19DM/LED_0__?productId=3341246&Ntt=led+bulb&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dled%2Bbulb&facetInfo=

I also tested several CFLs (mostly 13 watts) from Lowes and they didn't
produce significant RFI (recall this is using a small antenna next to a
computer).

Aaron