[RFI] LED Bulbs

Roger Shultz nj2r at verizon.net
Thu Feb 13 15:54:57 EST 2014

Ed et al,

I can confirm that diplomacy is key to resolution. Just this week I was able
to clear a S9+20 case of RFI into my 2 meter terrestrial and EME station
that rendered it useless. The cause was 9 LED MR-16 lamps in a neighbor's
kitchen that were installed 2 months ago.

Because it first sounded like power line AC buzz, I contacted the local
power company PSEG who were quite responsive but because the RFI was
intermittent didn't see it on their first trip however they saw other AC
problems and took care of them! I had noticed that I didn't seem to have
this AC buzz on the HF bands but it didn't ring a bell that it was quite
different.

On the second trip from PSEG, I met with the PSEG engineer and confirmed
that the RFI/buzz was near the pole I had first identified after a walk
around with a 2 meter HT in AM mode. Because it was centered at 145 MHz
suspicion that it might be Comcast channel 18 arose because PSEG noticed
that it was wideband and a good 20 MHz wide. It was only then that I
connected my spectrum analyzer to the antenna and became immediately shocked
at what I saw.

PSEG contacted Comcast who had a smart and skilled tech out within a day. We
met and discussed what I was seeing but came to the conclusion that it was
not Comcast.

I then took a 4 element yagi to where I knew the signal was hottest and did
some direction finding. To my surprise, the signal peaked away from the
power and cable lines but to the interior of the closest house. I went on
all three sides that I could access and it was clear as to the direction.

I did not know the residents even though they were no more than 700 feet
from my QTH, but I took a chance and knocked on the door. The lady who lives
there had seen PSEG and Comcast and wondered what was going on. I explained
what I was seeing and that it had started in Mid-December and wondered if
that rang a bell. It didn't but she invited me in to "snoop" however though
I could clearly hear the noise, it was so loud it couldn't be traced to any
TV or computer.

A few days later, I noticed that the RFI was gone and wondered if the
residents were home so I drove by and sure enough they were gone. This
pretty much confirmed that it was from that QTH.

I was fortunate that though I didn't know the resident, she knew my kids, so
we had a connection. She later stopped by when I was in my driveway to chat
about the possibilities and what the next steps might be. I obtained her
phone number and when I next saw it I called her. I told her that I wanted
to arrange a breaker off test to isolate what was the source. She told me
that she would do it right away then. After the 5 th circuit breaker she got
the right one! She immediately knew what it was and advised me it was her
kitchen lights and that they had been installed in mid-December. Luck
prevailed because she told me she didn't like the LED lights anyway because
of the color. I immediately offered to buy replacement halogen bulbs and
install them since she said she was afraid to do so. That was completed on
Tuesday and the RFI is GONE!

Admittedly I was lucky. I did explain about FCC radiation limits and that
the responsibility fell to her to fix it. As expected she had a hard time
accepting this reality and there was no point to push it at this stage. It
cost me a mere $40 for the bulbs and it was well worth it.

I borrowed three LED bulbs, brought them home and ran a test with a
transformer based 115 to 12 Vac variable resistive unit and the RFI was
quite apparent at a -40 DBM for just one bulb. Adding a 25 foot extension
cord to emulate the effects of a Romex run to the panel acted as an antenna
and the signal increased significantly . The RFI extended from 50 MHz to
over 350 MHz! These were Eco-Smart LED bulbs sold by Home Depot and listed
by ETL, a UL type testing company but with no FCC notation. I've sent a bulb
to Mike Gruber of the ARRL for further testing. Mike wrote an excellent
article on LED bulbs in October 2013 QST but didn't have any that were
generating RFI at VHF.

I hope my story puts some perspective on how these cases can be handled
without FCC involvement. Had my neighbor not been so incredibly smart and
cooperative, I would have filed a complaint and waited until I heard back
from them.

I don't want to infer that all LED bulbs are bad because they are not. If
that was the case the 800 LED C-9 style bulbs we install on our 50 foot
Norwegian Spruce would have been a problem and they are DFQ.

I had a funny thought that it is now "our turn" to be interfered with
compared to in the 1940's to early 80's when many people got their TV off
the air and we frequently bothered their TV "hobby". When the migration to
cable came to pass, we were off the hook it seemed. They had as much right
to expect peaceful TV watching as we hope to have with our radios in an era
of hundreds of RFI generating devices!

73, Roger, NJ2R