[RFI] RFI Power Supplies

CR ka5s at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 6 12:46:11 EDT 2014

On 6/5/2014 11:43 PM, CR wrote:

> I HAVE noticed, after the batteries (two 6V 200AH deep cycle
> batteries) are discharged a while, that when the power comes back on
> and the DLS-55 gets to serious charging, there is very noticeable RF
> noise around IIRC 2.8 MHz. Will have to measure the noise. There's a
> SA sitting right over it on a table; why not? Heh!

The charger is to blame; conducted emissions in the inverter power lead
rise as much as 40 dB (at 2.36 MHz) when the charger is plugged into the
outlet strip.

A closer look with a single sweep tells me (no surprise) the charger is
running at a very light load.  I suspect this is pulse-skipping to
accommodate the float state.

Frequencies below in KHz.

467.0 * strongerr (25-30dB) peaks
475.6# Lower peaks