[RFI] Question for all and ARRL

Tom Thompson tlthompson at qwest.net
Mon May 19 16:01:35 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

I have found all of the grow light stores here in the Boulder, CO area
to be extremely friendly and helpful to the extent that they let me make
measurements in their store so I could develop a filter.  One store gave
me some used bulbs that still worked after a grower loaned me his
ballast.  I used this setup to further develop my filter.

I , also, found that the proprietors were not aware of any RFI issues
with their ballasts, so your education approach is a really good idea.

I have tested three ballasts:  the Lumatek 1000, the Micromole 1000 and
the  Quantum 1000 watt.  None of these ballasts were quiet. They were at
least 40-dB over part 18 limits.

Tom   W0IVJ