[RFI] Question for all and ARRL

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon May 19 16:21:20 EDT 2014

> It would be nice if the ARRL would ask their Attorney about question 1,
> and post the response here in addition to anyone who might be an
> attorney speaking out.

I doubt the ARRL's legal counsel would issue an opinion as to question 1.
I'm an attorney but you're dealing with matters of both federal and state
law -- and they sometimes conflict with one another.   Just because your
state may allow certain use of a controlled substance for medicinal purposes
does not automatically mean you can aide in the production of a controlled
substance.  You may not think your involvement with RFI filtering is aiding,
but the law may state otherwise.

Rendering an opinion on a state law matter must come from an attorney
licensed in the state of the matter in question.   Any state-licensed
attorney can potentially answer questions of federal law.  I would seek an
Oregon-licensed attorney to answer this question.

Paul, W9AC

---