[RFI] Noise Measurements

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Nov 13 11:50:24 EST 2014

On Thu,11/13/2014 6:21 AM, mstangelo at comcast.net wrote:
> I am looking at using the ELAD FDM-S2 as a RFI receiver.

The computer interface possibilities for documentation and the spectrum
display are most useful for chasing electronic sources (switching power
supplies, microprocessors, motor controllers, etc.).

For non-electronic sources that are impulse noise (power lines, neon
signs) a receiver that goes higher in frequency will help zero in on the
source. For that, a VHF/UHF ham transceiver with broadband RX and AM
detection would likely be more useful. Two that fit the bill are the
venerable TH-F6A and the TM-V71, both Kenwood products, both computer
programmable for setup, both with AM capability to the top of their
tuning range. Combined with a compact 440 MHz Yagi, a rig like this
would make a very good impulse noise chasing setup.

To chase impulse noise, I have AM mode on frequencies in the range of
500 MHz, as well as in the range of 160 and 300 MHz programmed into both
radios. As I drive around, I mostly monitor the 160 MHz frequency, then
shift to 500 MHz when the signal gets very strong to zero in on the sources.

73, Jim K9YC