[RFI] Tecsun PL-660 for chasing RFI [Was: Is Icom IC-T90a AM-mode good for chasing RFI?]

CR ka5s at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 23 07:21:17 EDT 2014

Let's not get too focused on which receiver has the best sound or
S-meter; MY RFI hunting has almost all been with loops or yagis -- and
by ear.    Often enough, for the last few hundred meters or so, I've
used a homemade loop mounted on a scanner such as a VR-500.  For the
loops I mean, see the examples in figure 2 at
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/emc-emi-rfi-esd/4378152/An-EMC-Troubleshooting-Kit--Part-1a-Emissions-

FWIW department; I could use a FS receiver or spectrum analyzer, but
once outside a lab, things are usually too messy to make them worth
hauling around. I once used my AOR AR-5000 for some tests, and dragging
that over grass with batteries and an EMCO loop on a cart was no fun.

If you REALLY need an objective relative measurement, perhaps an RMS
meter on your receiver's audio output (ideally with AGC off) might be
the best way to get one. Using a product detector, the output is almost
exactly proportional to the input -- but be wary of saturation and
overload. The rest of the time, IMO, the ears have it.

Cortland
KA5S