[RFI] 160 meters RFI caused by low voltage bookcase lights

Hare, Ed W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Tue Sep 30 11:43:01 EDT 2014

ARRL has very few reports of these things that have specific model numbers, so yes, please, send the information on any that cause interference to rfi at arrl.org.

The rules require the following:

1. The manufacturer must meet the rules for emissions limits from the power supplies.  If these are switching supplies operating above 9 kHz internally, they need to meet conducted limits into the AC mains below 30 MHz and radiated emissions limits above 30 MHz.  There are two sets of limits, a limit for devices that can be marketed into residential environments (Class B) and a higher limit for devices marketed only into industrial environments (Class A).

2. The end marketer of a product is responsible for selling industrial-limit devices only into commercial environments.

3. Even if a device meets the limits, the end user of the product is required to use it in a way that does not cause harmful interference to licensed radio services.

Even the consumer devices have limits that are pretty high. A "legal" device would typically result in S7 noise (+- quite a bit) from the house next door, and S9 noise from a device in the ham's own house, relatively close to his or her antennas.

If we get reports involving model numbers, if the devices appear to be operating above the limits, ARRL will buy one and test it and if we find either a device exceeding the limits, or commercial devices being marketed to consumer environments, we will file formal complaints with the FCC.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab