[RFI] ARRL Board of Directors resolution related to FCC enforcement of radio-interference issues (Hare, Ed W1RFI)

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 15:29:38 EDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Hare, Ed  W1RFI <w1rfi at arrl.org> wrote:
> Yes, and of all the people and groups that are wise about these RFI matters, ARRL has been the only group that is consistently active year after year.  Broadcasters  and radio astronomers are notably absent on the industry committes working on RFI standards.

There are no "broadcasters" any more, only large holding companies
that produce content for the transmitters they own or lease.  It's
like a webserver with multiple IP addresses - it seems like you're
connecting to different servers, but it's all the same content.
Substitute frequency allocations for IPs - same thing.

The only people in those organizations probably aren't in those
organizations - the only ones that care about the spectrum are the
local engineers that try to put out a clean signal with no money while
worrying about being confronted by copper thieves at the transmitter
site while replacing all the copper that was stolen last time.  Those
people work for the companies that actually own the station but aren't
the ones that are running it (through one of those local marketing
agreements or whatever they are called).

The astronomers are either working on their project or are writing
grant proposals to keep it running or for starting a new project.
None of them have time to get involved with stuff that may or may not
affect them.

So it's pretty much us.

It's one of the  reasons I am a member (The ill-conceived RM-11078 is
not, something that will, ironically "raise the noise floor" for
many).