[RFI] Strange RFI

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sun Aug 30 16:51:48 EDT 2015

On 08/30/2015 01:36 PM, David C. Hallam wrote:
> My problem is not that interference in the normal way we think of
> interference.  I do not hear my signal in the speakers nor does it seem
> to affect the system while it is playing,  The only effect I have
> observed is the RF switching on the Sony CDP CX 455 deck.

It's not that unusual. RFI comes in many forms. I once had a
situation where RF from a transmitter would cause a TV to turn on or
off and randomly change channel, but there was no trace of
interference to audio or video. I had a remote controlled light
fixture that would turn on and off in response to RF from a
transmitter. How about an electric typewriter that turned on and
typed all by itself (and really freaked out the owner)? Most
recently I had a blu-ray player that, when confronted with RF, would
go into some mode where it would continue playing (no audio or video
interference) but stopped responding to the remote and local
controls. The only way to get it responding again was to unplug its
power cord and plug it back in.

73,
Paul N1BUG