[RFI] Low RFI 60w CFL and LED bulb

Chris L. Parker parker601 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 15:01:40 EST 2015

Hello Group,

My apologies to the group. Pat, WA4TUK, is correct. The Cree "4 Flow" is an LED lamp. Thank you Pat!

A few thoughts on the comments thus far.

CFL are not designed for intermittent operation. It says so on the package. They are intended for driveway, porch, applications etc (low cycles) where they will be on for a few hours before being turned off.

CFL's are not designed for "closed luminaires" e.g., where the lighting fixture has a frosted glass dome or cover. They also don't do well on ceilings where heat rises unless it is an open fixture. The little power supplies in the base of the bulb eventually fail from the heat, so you won't obtain the published lifetime in hours.

The GE energy smart "Bright from the Start" start off bright, and then once warmed up, cut their brightness down. Kind of disconcerting at first, but you get used to it.

The CREE LED bulb is intended for operation between -13F to +113F.

It was a simple test that I performed. I was not only concerned with radiated RFI, but conducted RFI through the AC mains of the house. Thus, when I found the GE energy smart bulbs did not radiate, I assumed (unscientifically) that they were RFI "clean" with conducted emissions as well.

Hope this helps.

73,
Chris
AF6PX