[RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Jul 21 20:49:09 EDT 2015

Cold weather should bring relief as green vegetation(weeds) "Usually"
dies and dries out.  It becomes non conductive.

Two things bother me.  Even at the farthest point, a 10 KV fence should
have tied a knot in your finger and really hurt!  ANYWHERE along that
fence should offer one healthy and likely painful poke! Basically the
voltage should be the same at all points along the fence. The other is
the measured voltage close to the unit itself, but it's a pulse, or
something resembling a square wave, so you'd need a peak reading volt
meter.   Then, (Oops, guess that's three) the horses "Testing" the
fence.  NORMALLY  a 10 KV fencer would cause the horses to stay well
away after one poke!   The Clydesdale is a massive horse ( see them
pulling the beer tanker in parades) so they may not be as affected as a
riding horse. That I don't know.  When I was young, we farmed with
horses  (mid 1940s) and my uncle used a team well into the 1980s for
cultivating.  Many times Old Clarence could be seen "taking a nap" at
the end of the field while the horses patiently stood there waiting for
him to wake up and tell them what to do.  He couldn't do that with a
tractor.

He was in his 80s when a bull stomped him into the barnyard mud.

There is something wrong with that fence!  It almost sounds like the hot
lead is grounded somewhere.  That expert brings to mind that TV program
that proved you can pee on one of those fences safely.  I know for a
fact that several city kids can attest, that is a false conclusion.  I
was wearing tennis shoes. <LOL> Nuff said!

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 7/21/2015 5:58 PM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> Just a wild guess...perhaps 1000' or a titch better.  Not a huge fence. It's
> been QRV about a year and I never remember hearing it as the paddock was
> very small and not much for weeds around it.  Now, instead of encircling
> about 1 acre or a little less, he encircles perhaps 5-6 acres, which runs
> through woods and has lots of weeds/grass.
>
> This gives me hope for winter, as the deep/heavy snow will knock down a lot
> of the weeds into the ground and remove a lot of arcing----I hope!
>
> Still, my summer DXing and contesting is severly compromised....
>
> Mike
<snip>

---