[RFI] Resolving RFI to a DSL Modem

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 21 11:32:05 EDT 2015

I have an  ADSL modem in my garage and when I operate with anything more
than 1300-1400 W on 40 m only, it loses the ADSL connection. I';; be
getting an IPDSL modem on Monday, though not Uverse (because... Well,
it's the phone company). I'm assuming I'll have a similar problem with
it, if not worse. I've ordered five of the ~1.5" ID type 31 ferrite
cores, enough for one per wire that enters or exits the device. How many
turns should I pack on: as many as I can in a single layer? ANy guess if
I can get away with enough turns when I run two wires per core?

There's a twisted pair that enters the modem, a power line, and four
CAT-5 cables. DO I need to observe any special precautions?

Kim N5OP
--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP
SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is." //– Attributed to many people; it’s so true that it
doesn’t matter who said it./