[RFI] Galaxy Grow Light Ballast Update

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 2 00:42:41 EST 2016

On Mon,2/1/2016 7:50 PM, DWKANEPE at aol.com wrote:
> Just a point of information...a fuse or circuit breaker will NOT and
> is not intended to prevent electrical shock.

That is WRONG.

> Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter protection will!

GFCI's protect against a very different mechanism, namely leakage
current.  GFCI's sample current in the phase (hot) and neutral
conductor, and open the circuit if they are out of balance by more than
6-10 mA, which means that current must be flowing on the Green wire, and
producing enough IR drop between the Green wire and other grounded
objects (like plumbing).

> Fuses, breakers and other OCPD's are intended to protect wiring and,
> in some cases, utilization equipment.

AND human life.

Fuses/breakers protect us in the case of a FAULT -- that is, something
causes a short between phase and exposed equipment, causing the exposed
equipment to be hot with respect to ground.

BTW -- I've been paid to TEACH and write tutorials on this stuff for
more than ten years.

73, Jim K9YC