[RFI] Yet another balun question

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Jun 28 16:47:41 EDT 2016

I am sorry to ask this, but the probably obvious answer isn't
obvious to me.

Assume I want to make a current balun consisting of two (or more)
chokes in series. Assume each choke will consist of a single 2.4"
toroid core wound with RG-303 coax (RG-58). Question: What should I
be looking at for physical orientation of one choke to another, and
distance between them? I am assuming that if nothing else,
capacitance between turns on one choke and turns on another choke
would be a consideration. Any guidance?

Second question: I think I read somewhere that there is little
difference in performance between all turns on a single such choke
wound "sequentially" around the core vs, winding half, then passing
the coax through and 180 degrees across the core, then winding the
remaining turns such that the coax leading into the choke and the
coax leading out can be 180 degrees opposed to each other. However I
cannot seem to find such a reference now. What is the word on this?

Thanks,
Paul N1BUG
(trying to make a very high impedance, relatively compact 40 & 30
meter current balun)