[RFI] Yet another balun question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jun 29 18:44:19 EDT 2016

Yet another reason why I really don't like the word "balun" to describe
a component. The problem is that the "BALenced to UNbalanced"
contraction is used to describe at least a dozen different things that I
know of. You can, for example, buy electronic devices to put analog
video on twisted pair, and they are called "baluns." A half-wave section
of coax that feeds both sides of a dipole against the center is called a
"balun." A two-winding transformer wound on a ferrite core where the
core carries the magnetic field  is mistakenly called a "balun," but it
is really a TRANSFORMER. And so on.

Jerry had it right when he called a sub-set of his designs "transmission
line transformers."

But it is simply wrong to call turns of coax or a pair of wires wound
around a ferrite core and connected as a transmission line a
"transformer" -- it is a common mode choke. The same physical pair of
wires could be wired as a 2-winding transformer, but we would want the
core to have low loss (for example, #61 for low HF, #67 for higher HF).
And it's a TRANSFORMER, not a "balun."  :)

Now, when we use the right words to describe things, it's FAR easier to
know what they are and understand how they work.

BTW -- I didn't come to this conclusion right away -- you'll find the
word "balun" in my 2007 RFI tutorial. One of these years I'll get around
to an updated version. :)

73, Jim K9YC