[RFI] Lightning Grounds with Insulators in SC?

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Sun Apr 9 13:58:36 EDT 2017

The shield wires above the power conductors on high voltage lines can be
insulated from the pole or be broken up with a small insulator to reduce
circulating currents induced in them from the magnetic and electric fields
from the power conductors.  Small insulators are used so they don't prevent
the shield wires from doing their lightning protection job, the small
insulators flashover very quickly so can be ignored when doing lightning
protection design.  Reducing the circulating currents helps reduce losses in
the line and can help reduce imbalance between the phases.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373