[RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size

Gedas w8bya at mchsi.com
Mon Aug 21 10:25:28 EDT 2017

Hi Joe. About a year ago I did just what you guys are talking about. I
had purchased a whole bunch of assorted split bead cores of various
sizes and shapes off Amazon. No specs with them but the price was so
right that I picked up 40-50 of each flavor I could find.

At the time I did not have my HP-8712ES VNA so I used my AIM 4170 to
experiment a little bit and just have some fun to see what my new cores
looked like RF wise. I took a given core and tested it with 1-T, then
2-T, then 3-T etc....then for fun put two of those cores in series (each
with 1-T) to see for myself what effect the various configurations had
on the impedance (real & imaginary) over frequency. Then tried 3 cores
in series etc, etc.

It was interesting to see how superior a single core with multiple turns
of wire worked vs. a single turn of wire through 2, 3, or even 4 of the
same cores all placed in series with each other.

I may be able to find the plots that I saved and if you are interested I
would be happy to share them with you. But I want to point out that Jim
(K9YC) has already done all this hard work (and a whole lot more) and
made those results along with an excellent narration available for all
of us via his published papers. I am sure his test methodology and
accuracy is far superior to what I did....again I was just messing
around wanting to get a quick idea of what happened under different
scenarios with my generic cores. 73

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....