[RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Mon Aug 21 10:37:40 EDT 2017

Thank you Dave!

This seems to confirm my gut feeling. I suspect if the ferrite were
almost solid with just a small hole through the center (just larger
than the wire) Z (or more importantly equivalent series resistance)
would increase dramatically. This suggests that at VHF using a
ferrite with an ID significantly larger than the wire passing
through it *might* not be optimum. It may (or may not) be that using
a smaller ferrite which more closely fits the wire is better even
though from the data sheet its Z and Rs may be less than the larger
part. It may (or may not) be that 2-4x ratio of wire size to ferrite
ID is not enough to have a significant effect. My point is that
there are some unknowns here. I have spent a great deal of time
looking for understandable data on this and have come up with none.

I think it would be very helpful to the VHF community if someone
with the proper equipment could look into this and publish some
curves like those for multi-turn HF chokes in K9YC's excellent
RFI-Ham.pdf paper. Z and Rs at VHF vs. wire diameter for a few
common sizes of ferrite, for example. If I had a VNA and the
expertise to use it correctly I would take on this project, but I don't.

I may be able to provide an experiment. Given the unknowns I am
unwilling to risk buying only a large quantity of just one (large)
size ferrite. I will buy a large quantity of two sizes that will be
a close fit for many of the cables I need to deal with. For the time
being I will buy a relatively small quantity of a smaller size which
would be a close fit for my smallest cables, as these are the ones
where I question the best choice. Assuming I find a small cable upon
which installation of ferrites reduces my receive noise, I will
compare noise reduction with three differnet size ferrites on that
cable: one that is a close fit, one that is a loose fit, and one
that is even more loose. This may at least tell me whether I am
better off buying the smaller ferrites in quantity or going with
more of the larger size.

73,
Paul N1BUG